Sunday, August 2, 2009

Chandra

We would be introducing to you, one by one, the kids at the Hattigaunda Home to which your help and concern would bring a difference to.


Up first, introducing to you - Chandra (English name: Evan), aged 11, studying in Class 4.



Chandra is probably one of the Happy-go-lucky kind. He is mostly jovial, talking loudly and seen around with a happy grin on his face, spreading his joy to the ones around him.

Below is Chandra and his brother, Surya. Both are the smarty pants bros from what I observed. Chandra is a really smart boy. I told him my handphone number and birthdate once, and he could remember it like forever.


Anybody needs to get their pants sew? Not to worry, seamstress - Chandra in the house.

I believe the kids are not allowed to keep hard objects like needles or scissors. Hence, they have to substitute with razor blaze (which they hide in between the slots of their cubicles) or staple bullets as scissors or needles.

Also, the kids do not have or the home staff does not provide them with thread to sew their uniform when its tearing apart. Hence, creative Chandra eyes glowed instantly when we bought the kids "thick cotton thread" (those cotton balls that you used to make friendship band). Without much thoughts, he used it as the thread to fix up his worn-out pants.
Creativity I must say.


Also at the home, the kids does not have much good nutrients for their meals. Hence, it is only during festivals that they get to eat meat. During our stay there, we had the chance to experience what they meant by "meat" during 1 festival. (Not quite the roasted chicken or big portions that I was expecting like in Singapore during our festivals. In simple, the meat portion is minimal and more like 2 to 3 pieces of chicken cubes/ slices.)

Hence most of the time, their good meal times come when there are volunteers who can afford to bring them out for a picnic or a good meal at a restaurant.

Hence, 3 of us (Jurdica, Yashi and Chiayong) volunteering there brought the kids out to the restaurant that is within walking distance to their house as a treat for them.

The kids' favourite/standard picks on the restautant's menu were chicken pizza and Slice (which is a rather sweet mango syrup drink). About 70% of the kids ordered these.

Only 2 girls, Pusa and Kabita were daring enough to break free from the standard, and ordered Milk Shake! The kids' eyes were popping out and looking at the Milkshakes when the waiter served the drinks.


Also as the kids reallyyyyy seldom got the chance to have cold drinks (they have no fridge back at home), they all finished their "Slice" mango syrup drink within 3 minutes the beverage arrived and the food was far from being served.

Hence, we decided to buy them a "second round" of drinks. This time, the boys were smart enough to try the milkshakes.

Chandra's first take on his milkshake:

The boys enjoying their standard - chicken pizza.


Also as previously mentioned, we bought sports attire for them. Chandra's yellow house sports attire.

The sports attire are not considered expensive, costing around SGD10 for each set. However, when you multiply that by quantity 20, you will begin to understand why the Home was not able to afford buying this for the kids.

One point I was not able to fully understand was why did the school had to punish the students for not wearing the sports attire everytime there is sports lesson?


Back at nepal, Yashi and I each bought a little notebook, on which I told the kids to write anything about themselves, their age and what do they like.

I will republish what they wrote on my little black book.
This is what Chandra wrote:" I like table-tennis and, I like to ride cycle, I like Nepali music, I like Nepali movies, My favourite subject is science. I'll read story books, I like to visit Pokhara, I want to be a scientist."

Subsequently, me and Yashi will be updating more profiles of the kids at the home.

Also, we would like to say Thank to some of our friends and colleagues who have begin to express interest in helping the kids and volunteering! Your help will definitely be appreciated.
Special mention to Yileen from Markit for offering suggestions and also showing actual support, and also to Winson for helping with this blog setup.

I would be going to Nepal again in early October to make a small personal donation myself (where I will help pay abit of the school fees due for the children, paying directly to the school).
So if you are interested in joining me for the trip or would be in Nepal, please let me know!
Also, if there is other ways that you can help, please drop me a message and keep the help coming! If there are any encouragement words, or message you want to say to any of the kids, please feel free to make use of the wall for a quick shoutout, and I will relate your inspiring words to the kids when I get there.


Last by not least, to end the introduction of Chandra with some pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment