Sunday, August 16, 2009

Purna

Next introducing the 2nd boy - Purna.

His English name is called Matt. At age 9, class 2, he is probably the youngest person I have ever met who knows (and fits) the true definition of what is called..."being flexible".


I hope I could upload the video (IM 1251) to see his potiential physical flexibility. One of his flexible stunts includes being able to bend his body backwards such that his hands reach the ground and he starts to walk with both his legs and hands, with his chest facing the ceiling, from the juniors' boys room to the senior boys' room, all at the same time grinning at me while I looked at him with absolute fascination and amazement.
Besides the "bendy and flexible" limbs, he also has the fastest actions. He is always the first one to finish his meals, and the first one to get dressed for school. He is already carrying his bag and waiting at the doorstep, while the rest are still getting ready. Speedy Gonzalez!

Purna's cheerful and innocent grin also never fails to brighten up my day and it is exactly what we hope to see and need to see, to tide over each day, over the worst possible conditions.
Even if Purna had gotten a fungal infection on his left cheek, he was still as cheerful as ever and never let it affect him much. Saddening to say, the home is unable to afford Purna to see the doctor or buy any treatment cream from the drug store. The mark was left to stay there......


Finally, all the years of practice as a pharmacist serve as a useful platform for situations like this. I was finally able to put my medical knowledge into good use. We went to the drugstore and bought this antifungal cream for just S$1.10 and applied twice daily on Purna's cheek. After a few days, the mark really went away!


All of us were really happy (including Purna of course) and it was really very rewarding. I felt good being able to help others with a little drug knowledge I learnt from my job/ school. I really hope and wish for more volunteers from the medical field (eg, doctors and nurses) to come over and do the same for these children who also deserve to get the best medical care and treatment like any other children back home.


Lastly, Purna says bye to you through the oversized dark glasses.


And we will miss you always, Purna :)



No comments:

Post a Comment